Tuesday, February 24, 2009

There's no such thing as a free lunch

In this case, it was dinner. Free pancake night at IHOP. What a delightful notion to a mother's ears. No cooking. No cleaning. And even a chance to be benevolent and make a donation to the Children's Miracle Network. So off the boys and I went to meet up with Daddy and our good McFriends who have a precious boy Spencer's age. Just a few moments before making plans to partake of pancackes, I was knee deep in sorting through baby clothes and organizing yet another closet in the house. So this was a big night out for me.

We pulled into the parking lot and quickly realized we adults would be the geriatric crowd. The majority of the diners were clearly poor, hungry college students and I felt even more old and disheveled than I truly was. Before even getting to the restaurant foyer, Fisher had lost a boot under the car and was hollering for "rice". And my sweet Spencer darted out into the parking lot to run to his friend and I nearly had a heart attack and yelped. So he proceeded to cry and tell me "I shouldn't have done that" and ask me "Was I sorry for yelling" about a dozen times in front of strangers who are just assuming I yelled at my kid for no good reason. So now I'm being sized up by a bunch of size 2 college girls who think they'll have it more together than me when they have kids. Oh good - our table is ready now.

And then I am reminded once again of why we get out and try new things and get together with good friends. There is Fisher spearing a huge sausage patty with his fork and smearing pork grease on his face and fingers. When he tires of the swine, he picks up a whole pancake and tries to lick the butter residue off the top. Then MrsMc shows him how to dispense the syrup and he is officially in heaven. Ryan caught him with his mouth up to the syrup nozzle trying to drink the last drops. I am truly sorry for the patron who uses that next.

To my right, Spencer is giggling and happily squirming as MrMc tickles him and teases him. LilMc is trying to teach Spencer the quiet water/still water game which is just hilarious if anyone knows anything about my kid. And then I watched as Spencer proudly put his donation into the box on the way out to "help sick children without a lot of stuff or doctors like mine". That was his interpretation.

So thanks IHOP. And thank you Lord. For showing me the best things in life are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment